- Pirates’ Three-game Win Streak EndsPosted 10 days ago
- Steelers Draft WR Markus Wheaton in 3rd RoundPosted 27 days ago
- Steelers Select RB Le’Veon Bell in 2ndPosted 27 days ago
- Jarvis Jones Time in PittsburghPosted 28 days ago
- James Harrison Meets with BengalsPosted 42 days ago
- Steelers Sanders Signed to Offer Sheet by the PatriotsPosted 44 days ago
- Alameda Ta’amu Gets ProbationPosted 49 days ago
- Steelers Announce Preseason SchedulePosted 49 days ago
- Steelers Bring Back Stevenson SylvesterPosted 50 days ago
- Pittsburgh Penguins’ Win Streak SnappedPosted 50 days ago
Byron Leftwich Injury Update
- Updated: November 19, 2012
The issue with Byron Leftwich during Sunday night’s game between the Baltimore Ravens, who was favored +3 points by SportsBetting.ag and the Pittsburgh Steelers was clear. He was wincing in pain with his throwing arm repeatedly pulled close to his side.
The Steelers evaluated him for a rib injury and sent him back into action.
Jason La Canfora of CBS Sports reports the Steelers think they will be out without Leftwich for awhile due to injuries suffered on Sunday night. He doesn’t state what the injuries are, but it sounds like more than the original rib injury.
Charlie Batch is the team’s other quarterback. He would probably get the next chance to start if Leftwich does miss time and Roethlisberger remains sidelined. Any free agents that are signed would likely be viewed as depth additions.
The best course of action seemed to be placing him on the bench and giving Charlie Batch a chance to move the offense.
Leftwich attempted to hit open receivers, but his passes lacked velocity. An opportunity to score at the end of the game was thwarted when the strong-armed quarterback could barely throw the ball 50 yards.
He needed 65 yards to hit his man.
With Ben Roethlisberger already out with a rib injury, the forecast could be grim for Pittsburgh. They can’t enter next week’s game with just one option under center.
Batch has seen limited action in his six-plus seasons with Pittsburgh. He had 53 attempts in 2006, his most as a Steeler.
Leftwich finished the game 18-of-39 for 201 yards and an interception. His passer rating was just 51.3.
Pittsburgh (6-4) lost 13-10 and opens up the wild-card battle to their division rival, the Cincinnati Bengals. They face the Cleveland Browns next week before travelling to Baltimore in Week 13.
Their final two games are also divisional matchups. This is unfortunate timing if Roethlisberger isn’t able to return soon.