- Pittsburgh Police Make Second Arrest in Mike Adams StabbingPosted 15 days ago
- Pirates’ Three-game Win Streak EndsPosted 37 days ago
- Steelers Draft WR Markus Wheaton in 3rd RoundPosted 53 days ago
- Steelers Select RB Le’Veon Bell in 2ndPosted 53 days ago
- Jarvis Jones Time in PittsburghPosted 55 days ago
- James Harrison Meets with BengalsPosted 69 days ago
- Steelers Sanders Signed to Offer Sheet by the PatriotsPosted 70 days ago
- Alameda Ta’amu Gets ProbationPosted 76 days ago
- Steelers Announce Preseason SchedulePosted 76 days ago
- Steelers Bring Back Stevenson SylvesterPosted 77 days ago
David DeCastro Officially a Pittsburgh Steeler
- Updated: July 24, 2012
The Pittsburgh Steelers and first-round pick, David DeCastro, have come to terms on a four-year deal with a fifth-year option, reported Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
The deal comes within a day of the 23rd pick, Detroit’s Riley Reiff, signing a four-year $7.993 million deal. With Reiff’s deal in place, the Steelers had a great framework in place as to what to pay DeCastro—considered by many to be the best guard prospect in over a decade.
While the numbers haven’t been released yet, it is likely worth a little less than what Reiff got and mostly guaranteed, as many first-round contracts this year seem to be.
DeCastro looks to become the second Steeler’s rookie offensive lineman to start the season in the last twelve years—the other being Maurkice Pouncey in 2010—and only the fourth in the last 45 years—the other two being Marvel Smith in 2000 and Tom Ricketts in 1999.
At Stanford, DeCastro was the best lineman on the team and one of the best in the country.
His level of skill will certainly be a great addition from the first snap of the season and will help bring strength to a unit that had trouble opening holes in the running game at times and keeping Ben Roethlisberger on his feet.
DeCastro was the last member of the draft class for Pittsburgh to sign his contract, and he will report to training camp with the team on Wednesday.
Latest posts by steelerguy26 (see all)
- How to Know Your a Steelers Fan - June 19, 2013
- Pirates Sign First-round Pick Reese McGuire - June 18, 2013
- Pittsburgh Power Handed Worst Home Loss in Team History - June 17, 2013