- Pittsburgh Police Make Second Arrest in Mike Adams StabbingPosted 14 days ago
- Pirates’ Three-game Win Streak EndsPosted 36 days ago
- Steelers Draft WR Markus Wheaton in 3rd RoundPosted 53 days ago
- Steelers Select RB Le’Veon Bell in 2ndPosted 53 days ago
- Jarvis Jones Time in PittsburghPosted 54 days ago
- James Harrison Meets with BengalsPosted 68 days ago
- Steelers Sanders Signed to Offer Sheet by the PatriotsPosted 70 days ago
- Alameda Ta’amu Gets ProbationPosted 75 days ago
- Steelers Announce Preseason SchedulePosted 75 days ago
- Steelers Bring Back Stevenson SylvesterPosted 76 days ago
Steelers Sign DeMarcus Van Dyke
- Updated: September 7, 2012
Pro Football Talk has learned that the Steelers will sign cornerback DeMarcus Van Dyke. Van Dyke was waived by the Raiders on Monday when they signed veteran corner Joselio Hanson.
Van Dyke, who passed through waivers unclaimed, ran a 4.28 40 at last year’s combine. That helped him become a third-round pick of the Raiders, who were never shy about picking up players who could run like the wind.
As they say, you can’t teach speed. Van Dyke’s problem is that he sometimes made it look like he couldn’t be taught cornerback either. He was part of a Raiders cornerback corps that allowed opponents 251 yards per game through the air. None of the five cornerbacks who saw extensive time for the Raiders last season are still with the team, with Van Dyke helping to author his own pink slip with a rough night in a preseason game against Arizona.
Still, he’s got that speed and he’s 6’1″, which is a combination that makes football people try to make it all work out. Ike Taylor and Keenan Lewis are set as the starters in Pittsburgh, with Cortez Allen and Curtis Brown in reserve. Van Dyke will try to work his way into the rotation while working with defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau and other Steelers coaches try to put his impressive physical tools to better use on the field.
There’s no word of a corresponding move, although the Steelers could place rookie guard David DeCastro on injured reserve with the designation that he’s able to return after eight weeks
Latest posts by steelerguy26 (see all)
- Pirates Sign First-round Pick Reese McGuire - June 18, 2013
- Pittsburgh Power Handed Worst Home Loss in Team History - June 17, 2013
- Steelers Laying the Foundation for the 2013 Season - June 14, 2013